Required full time to work at Peguis Free Spirits Child Care Centre with floor supervisor, child care assistants and children ages 3 months to 6 yrs. The Early Childhood Educator is to assist in all areas of the centre, to provide care and education to all children enrolled in daycare and to be a role model for all children at work and in the community.
Early Childhood Educators are expected to perform tasks and/or activities in the following areas:
HEALTH & SAFETY
• Maintains constant supervision of all children during indoor and outdoor play periods
• Maintain a clean and healthy environment for children and adults by performing light housekeeping duties and simple repairs.
• Assist children in self-help skills and models good hygienic practices
• Performing a quick safety check of playground and equipment
• Is responsible to read over each child’s registration forms and know of any health or safety concerns
• Report and document accidents and injuries to the parents and supervisor before completion of shift
• Release children only to the authorized individuals
• Observe children daily for symptoms of common childhood conditions and illnesses
• Reports incidents of suspected abuse upon discovery as per Centre policy and the Child Abuse Protocol
• Responds warmly to children’s physical needs such as diapering, toileting, eating and napping
• Plans for and implements a balance of active/quiet, indoor/outdoor, free/structured, individual/group activities that will encourage the social, emotional, physical and intellectual development at a level appropriate for each the children
• Assists with the preparation of activity programs based on the Centre’s philosophy and policies
• Preparing equipment and supply orders based on the needs of planned activities
• Guides, demonstrated and encourages children’s activities throughout the day
• Organizes space, equipment and material prior to activities
• Participates as a member of a team with others in the Centre, including director, substitutes, students, volunteers, parents: respects each individual’s ideas, opinions and suggestion.
• Is responsible for getting to know each child, their behaviors and how to handle them, on a manner that does not degrade the child but encounters the to use self-control
• Sets realistic expectations appropriate to their ages and assists them to help themselves
• Models appropriate conduct in and around the centre setting, ie: using words, walking in the centre, modeling usage of toys and equipment
• Arranges the centre so that children will know and remember how to act in each area
• Uses positive guidance methods, such as praising and encouraging (verbally or physically), redirection when necessary
• Assists children in expressing themselves by listening and responding
• contributes to the and follows the behavior management guidelines established by Centre
• Document and report recurring negative behavior
WORKING WITH FAMILIES
• Respect and accept each child and their families as a whole
• Be warm and welcoming when a parent brings their children to the centre
• Informs parents about their children’s experiences at the day care on a regular basis
• Suggest and or provides activities that parents can share with children at home
• Recognizes and respects the culture, social background, child rearing and religious belief and practices of the family
• encourages parental involvement in the ongoing activities of the centre
• Encourages open communication with the parents, by being attentive, polite and friendly
• Inform other staff of any problems the child may be having at home and any instructions the parents may have to deal with these problems
• Follows the policies of the centre and is able to explain them when necessary
• Is subject to and respects all Peguis First Nation employee policies
• Dresses appropriately and models cleanliness and good hygienic practices
• Owns their positions, takes pride in their work, and is self-directed to excelling in that position
• Is punctual and does their share of the workloads
• Works as part of a team and is courteous to fellow employees
• Attends and actively participates in staff meetings or workshops
• Maintains confidentiality
• Other related duties as assigned
• Level 2 – Early Childhood Educator classification from a recognized educational institution.
• Updated clear child abuse registry check
• Updated clear criminal record check
• Current First Aid/child CPR certificate
• Valid class 5 driver’s license and own transportation
• Applicants are encouraged to bring a portfolio.
• Must have knowledge of MB childcare regulations
• Honest, trustworthy and respectful in your approach with children.
• Able to implement programs to meet children’s social, physical, intellectual, cultural and emotional needs.
• Apply ELCC policies, procedures, guidelines and standards.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
All applicants will be thoroughly screened through a review process.
Salary is based on qualifications and experience.
Submit your cover letter, resume with 3 references and updated criminal record and child abuse registry check to:
Geraldine Monkman –Director
Peguis Free Spirits Child Care Centre (drop off)
Box 29 Peguis, MB. R0C 3J0 (by mail)
Deadline for resumes: Thursday, November 22, 2018
We thank you for your interest; however, please note, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.