Required full time to work at Peguis Free Spirits Child Care Centre with floor supervisor, child care assistants and children ages 3 months to 6 yrs. The Early Childhood Educator is to assist in all areas of the centre, to provide care and education to all children enrolled in daycare and to be a role model for all children at work and in the community.
Early Childhood Educators are expected to perform tasks and/or activities in the following areas:
HEALTH & SAFETY
- Maintain constant supervision of all children during indoor and outdoor play periods
- Maintain a clean and healthy environment for children and adults by performing light housekeeping duties and simple repairs.
- Assist children in self-help skills and models good hygienic practices
- Performing a quick safety check of playground and equipment
- Is responsible to read over each child’s registration forms and know of any health or safety concerns
- Report and document accidents and injuries to the parents and supervisor before completion of shift
- Release children only to the authorized individuals
- Observe children daily for symptoms of common childhood conditions and illnesses
- Reports incidents of suspected abuse upon discovery as per Centre policy and the Child Abuse Protocol
- Responds warmly to children’s physical needs such as diapering, toileting, eating and napping
- Plans for and implements a balance of active/quiet, indoor/outdoor, free/structured, individual/group activities that will encourage the social, emotional, physical and intellectual development at a level appropriate for each the children
- Assists with the preparation of activity programs based on the Centre’s philosophy and policies
- Preparing equipment and supply orders based on the needs of planned activities
- Guides, demonstrated and encourages children’s activities throughout the day
- Organizes space, equipment and material prior to activities
- Participates as a member of a team with others in the Centre, including director, substitutes, students, volunteers, parents: respects each individual’s ideas, opinions and suggestion.
- Is responsible for getting to know each child, their behaviors and how to handle them, on a manner that does not degrade the child but encounters the to use self-control
- Sets realistic expectations appropriate to their ages and assists them to help themselves
- Models appropriate conduct in and around the centre setting, ie: using words, walking in the centre, modeling usage of toys and equipment
- Arranges the centre so that children will know and remember how to act in each area
- Uses positive guidance methods, such as praising and encouraging (verbally or physically), redirection when necessary
- Assists children in expressing themselves by listening and responding
- contributes to the and follows the behavior management guidelines established by Centre
- Document and report recurring negative behavior
WORKING WITH FAMILIES
- Respect and accept each child and their families as a whole
- Be warm and welcoming when a parent brings their children to the centre
- Informs parents about their children’s experiences at the day care on a regular basis
- Suggest and or provides activities that parents can share with children at home
- Recognizes and respects the culture, social background, child rearing and religious belief and practices of the family
- encourages parental involvement in the ongoing activities of the centre
- Encourages open communication with the parents, by being attentive, polite and friendly
- Inform other staff of any problems the child may be having at home and any instructions the parents may have to deal with these problems
- Follows the policies of the centre and is able to explain them when necessary
- Is subject to and respects all Peguis First Nation employee policies
- Dresses appropriately and models cleanliness and good hygienic practices
- Owns their positions, takes pride in their work, and is self-directed to excelling in that position
- Is punctual and does their share of the workloads
- Works as part of a team and is courteous to fellow employees
- Attends and actively participates in staff meetings or workshops
- Maintains confidentiality
Other related duties as assigned
- Level 2 – Early Childhood Educator classification from a recognized educational institution.
- Updated clear child abuse registry check
- Updated clear criminal record check
- Current First Aid/child CPR certificate
- Valid class 5 driver’s license and own transportation
- Applicants are encouraged to bring a portfolio.
- Must have knowledge of MB childcare regulations
- Honest, trustworthy and respectful in your approach with children.
- Able to implement programs to meet children’s social, physical, intellectual, cultural and emotional needs.
- Apply ELCC policies, procedures, guidelines and standards.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
All applicants will be thoroughly screened through a review process.
Salary is based on qualifications and experience.
Submit your cover letter, resume with 3 references and updated criminal record and child abuse registry check to:
Geraldine Monkman –Director
Peguis Free Spirits Child Care Centre (drop off)
Box 29 Peguis, MB. R0C 3J0 (by mail)
Deadline for resumes: Wednesday, January 16, 2019
We thank you for your interest; however, please note, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.